My Little Pad

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Rainbow Showers Altered Printer's Tray



I want to share some pictures of a printer's tray that I finished altering a few days ago. (Click on each picture for a close up)
For the past 2 years Dyan Reaveley of Art from the Heart has come up to Macduff, NE Scotland for a weekend of workshops called Scrapattack.
Every year the Aberdeen craft group that organise the weekend set us some fun challenges to get us in the spirit. This year one of the challenges was to alter an item.

I soon decided that I wanted to alter a printer's tray and chose to do it in the theme of Colour.
Here is what the tray looked like before I cleaned it with wire wool.

All cleaned!



I then painted it with several coats of undercoat and then painted with acrylic paints. Once dry I sprayed each band of colour with different pearl mist sprays made with Distress ink reinkers, water and Blonde Moments pearl pigments.
Next stage was to stamp some random images over the tray and inside some of the compartments with a selection of Tim Holtz stamps Burnt Umber Palette Ink.


I then filled each compartment with an assortment of doll's house miniatures that I purchased from ebay, collage images purchased mainly from Lisa's Altered Art and Digital Collage Sheets.








Finally I made a minibook filled with the words to my favourite song Somewhere over the Rainbow. I love this song and my two boys love me singing it to them (just a pity that I can't sing that well LOL)
















I will be back over the next few days with new posts showing some of the projects I made at Scrapattack with Dyan. I have had a fantastic 2 days and am back again tomorrow for an art journalling day.

28 comments which I appreciate:

inkfairy said...

Hi sharon,
I love the printers tray, you did a fantastic job!
Hope you are having a great weekend with the MASTER!! :-)
Lucky you.
Michelle xx

Wrightboysmum said...

It's even better on the blog as you can study it really closely. I missed the little book when I've looked at it over the weekend. I'm glad you perservered at it when it wasn't looking good.

weewiccababe said...

wow, what can I say Sharon, this is absolutely stunning - its obvious theres been a whole lot of work gone into it, you must be so chuffed with it quine
Debz
xx

misteejay said...

Gosh, what a fab finished piece...it is stunning.

Toni :o)

Scrappy~Sarah said...

OMG that is stunning.....wish I had the patience!! I hope that it gives many years of enjoyment...there is soo much to see on it :)

Sue aka Greyhound Lover said...

Sharon it's beautiful! what a work of art you've created! FANTASTIC WORK.

ScrappyDandyDoo said...

Wow Sharon its absolutely stunning!!!!
I haven't even started mine yet but feel quite inspired now!!!
Thanks for sharing this :D

Julie xx

kikimama said...

Wow, that is fabulous!! Love all the details.

Bobs said...

This was just spectacular IRL! The amount of work that has gone in to it is incredible!

Sharon - remember about the entry form for New Pitsligo Visual Arts Exhibition (from the Herald Office!) ....... nae that I'm nagging or onything!!

xxxxx

Sharon said...

LOL Will do!!

rebekah22 said...

How totally gorgeous is this???? Well done you x

Erika said...

Wow Sharon there's some work in that. What beautiful colours. You must be really chuffed with the finished art work?

ScrappyDandyDoo said...

Happy Birthday Sharon :D
J xxx

gwyneth said...

What a fantastic piece of work this is Sharon, it's absolutely beautiful.

hennahana said...

This is absolutely amaaaaaazing! :)

kazzells said...

Stunning simply stunning well done

kazx

Carmen said...

This is simply amazing! I've wanted to do one of these for ages but a) haven't got one and b) was thinking grunge/vintagey colours. Yours is just WOW! Are you going to hang it at home? What an amazing talking piece, the blending/colouring you've done is gorgeous!

I saw a much smaller tray in a junk shop a couple of weeks ago and have been kicking myself ever since - was going to alter it for a swap. Am pig sick now that I didn't get it!

kara said...

that tray is amazing, so much work

YorkshireKaren said...

Your tray is wonderful!!! You will treasure it for life, I'm sure, and it must have been such fun gathering all the little things to put in it. I had my first mini-class with Dyan on Saturday at the papercraft show in Harrogate, and came home with a bag full of paint..now I just need a room to play with them!

Sarah C said...

WOW, this is just stunning and I so love your mini-book. What a fantastic idea.

BTW, came here thanks to the home page on UKScrappers xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Sharon the tray is so lovely. These photos are ace. Well done for all the work you put into it. Stephanie x

Cath said...

I love it you are so clever. The book is a great idea to add. It must have pride of place in your house.

scrapcomber said...

This is so beautiful, how I wished I had seen it before giving mine away :(

ScrappyDandyDoo said...

left you a little something here hun ;) http://itsascrappylifeforme.blogspot.com/2009/10/received-award-today.html
J xx

Karen said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! This is an amazing piece of work Sharon!!! You must have had soo much fun finding things to fill it and all that rubbiong down...must have taken you ages honey! XXX

Anonymous said...

An incredible piece of art work Sharon and so inspiring. My father was a printer and I am sure he still has some type case boxes. I can see a family heirloom looming.
Dianne, NZ

Angi~Mistress of Mayhem said...

Love the colors...I just started working on a couple of trays and was searching for some inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing!

Shinywen said...

I too was looking through images of altered printer trays for some inspiration. This is by far the most gorgeously colored and imaginative project I have come across. Thank you so much for sharing the pics and some tips about your techniques as well! <3