My Little Pad

Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year.....with a sprinkling of Vanilla Sugar.....x

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
I'd like to take this chance to wish everyone that visits my blog a very happy new year, I hope that 2010 is a great year for you all.....x

I am not going to bother making any New Year's Resolutions as I never keep them LOL but I will add that I really hope that I manage to keep up with the 365 calendar art journalling challenge!

I also have some exciting news to share. A new challenge blog run by Caroline from Bubbly Funk goes live today and I am thrilled to have been chosen to be on the design team! The new challenge blog is called

VANILLA SUGAR........SWEETLY HANDMADE

and will feature a challenge on the first of each month. The focus will be on hand made gifts and home decor. I really hope you will visit the blog and gain some inspiration from it.

January's theme is coasters and I chose to make small gift bags using beer mats/coasters as the front and back. I made a few different depths of bags that will suit holding different things.





My favourite bag is the one that holds a notelet and birthday book set.
Here are the instructions for how I made it.

Materials:
2 beer mats / coasters
1 sheet of patterned paper
3 sheets of A4 card that co-ordinates
3 sheets of white A4 card.
Ribbon to match

To make the bag cut 2 pieces of ribbon each 6.5" long and adhere to the inside of each bag. Then cover the front of each coaster with patterned paper and the back with card. Sand and ink edges. Cut a piece of card for the sides - 24cm x 6cm. Score the long sides 1cm in from each edge and the short eges at 8cm and 16cm.
Attach red DST to the long ends and adhere to the coasters.
Decorate the front of your bag and voila - hardly takes any time!




To make the birthday book I cut a piece of card 17.5 x 8cm and scored at 8cm and 9.5cm for the outside. Adhere a piece of patterned paper to the front and decorate. I printed the word "birthdays" using Word on the PC and punched it out.
Cut another piece of card 12cm x 7.8cm and score every 1cm and fold in a concertina fashion.
Cut 7.8cm squares of card (5) and adhere to each of the concertina folds that stick out. Glue a length of ribbon to the inside front and back cover. Cut 7.5cm squares (12) in white card and stamp with the months of the year.
Glue these on to the pages.



The notelet holder was made by cutting a piece of card 17cm x 8cm and scoring at 8cm and 9cm. Decorate the front in the same way as the birthday book and put the sticky notes inside.



23 comments which I appreciate:

tracy said...

congrats on being picked for the dt :) can't wait to see what else you bring us-i love those little baggies :)

misteejay said...

Sharon, congrats on your new DT role. Love these coaster bags and the notebook/birthday book contents are fab.

Happy New Year

Toni :o)

Carol said...

what a gorgeous idea Sharon.

Just had a flick thro' your blog - loving your craft room! wow its so big! love the space.....great pages for your year art journal too - looking forward to seeing how that all comes together....

TCake said...

oh sharon, these are fab!... look forward to seeing more fromyou this year. happy new year to you 7 your family. Tx

Gez said...

Fabulous bags Sharon. Love the papers you have chosen. Good luck on the DT & have fun. Best wishes for 2010. Gez.xx

Di said...

Best wishes for 2010 Sharon, well done on the DT place, thoroughly deserved.

Janice said...

Well done for making the DT for Vanilla Sugar. It's a pleasure to have you join the Bubblies at Bubbly Funk.

jo said...

These are great - might have a go (if I can find my coasters!) Good luck with the new DT - you are going to be busy in 2010.

Miss Natz said...

Congrats on being a DT member. Gorgeous idea, I love these :) I will email you about the font on my blog x

kirsticoo said...

Wow Sharon you have been busy... well done and Happy New Year to you and yours....x

Karen said...

Great to be working with you again Sharon!!! Lovely work there & all so different! XXX

Beermatman said...

Hi Sharon,
A somewhat strange and different idea for Beer Mats.
We would never have thought about it.

Happy New Year we wish you continued success in your new role.
Best regards
Keith
aka the Beermatman
www.beermatadvertising.com

Erika said...

Beautiful work Sharon loving your bags....I've been making the little note books you showed us at our weekend crop and they've been well received...well deserved DT member and all the best for a crafty 2010. xxx

Angelnorth said...

Love your coaster gift bags, they look fab!

Wrightboysmum said...

They are just adorable.I'm looking forward to seeing what else you think up. Congrats on the DT.

rebekah22 said...

What a fab idea. Congratulations on the DT :) x

Shazza said...

congratulations Sharon, these are all fabulous. Must go look out my pile of coasters, thanks for the ideas
x

Liz said...

They are all gorgeous and I will definitely be having a go at one of them....if I ever get off here :0)
Happy New Year to you and your family and all the best for 2010 x

Carol said...

Congratulations Sharon for being selected for the DT, you are one very talented lady. Well done!!!

Happy New Year for 2010.
Carol x

Dawn said...

They are lovely Sharon I remember us buying those paper pads at the papermill, you have worked wonders with them xx

ScrappyDandyDoo said...

Happy New Year and congrats on another DT place :D well deserved :D

Sue aka Greyhound Lover said...

Congratulations Sharon on the new DT, love the bag you've made, shall pop over and take a look.

Kathy said...

Well done on the DT gig - very well deserved too.

I love what you've made with the coasters - especially the little books - how cute are they!